Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Learning how to help people like me (by Rachel)


Last weekend we were able to attend a two day conference near the Costa del Sol (although it rained all weekend) on how to better understand and help TCKs.  You know, those unique people referred to as Third Culture Kids who grow up in a culture different from that of their parents and who tend to have specific common traits and struggles, as well as benefits and strengths, of course!  In fact, I am a TCK!  I love being one, especially since I was able to experience so many different cultures as a child.  But I also know that it can be difficult not really feeling like you fit in anywhere and being a "global nomad" who can be anywhere from blending in to rebelling against everything your parents or your "host" culture stand for.  I know many TCKs who have had wonderful experiences and love who they are, but there are many who struggle with feeling different or odd and who don't have anyone to talk to. 

So I would like to be someone who's there to help out.  I can relate to these kids (and adults) in many ways and I hope to just come along and help them try to figure out who they are (and maybe do the same for myself while we're at it!).  It was great connecting with others who have this same passion and hanging out with the leader of the conference who happens to be a TCK and a long time family friend.  I also was glad B.J. was able to come along to better understand this topic because he's going to have double trouble-- he's married to a TCK and will also soon be raising one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are my favorite group leader, counselor, and expert on TCK´s. seriously! I learn a lot from you.
MOM