Sunday, March 21, 2010

An honest reflection on mass

Rachel is away at a conference this week, so, since I didn't have any other commitments for this morning, I decided to go to mass at the local Catholic parish in the barrio.  I'd been wanting to go to a mass for quite some time now, and I'm glad it finally worked out.  So I'll give a few bullet point reflections, and I'm going to take the risk of being honest, perhaps superficial, and not too theologically deep.
  • Nervous:  For a few different reasons, I was nervous as I walked to the church.  Normally I have Rachel and her perfect Spanish to hide behind, but without her, if someone asked me a question, I'd have to understand and respond on my own, which makes me a bit nervous still.  I was also a bit nervous because I wasn't entirely certain of what to expect.  I've been to mass a few times in my life, but never in Spain.  I like new things, but they do make me nervous.
  • No one really talked to me.  It turned out that reason #1 for my nervousness was unwarranted, since the only personal contact I had was with two people sitting near me during the 'Passing of the Peace.'  On one hand, that was relieving.  On the other, it's kind of sad that you walk into and out of church or a worship service without being noticed, welcomed or such.  Maybe that's just my American evangelical small church mindset talking.
  • A dirty look.  Although hardly anyone talked to me, the older lady who collected the offering did seem to give me a dirty look when she walked by and I didn't toss any money in the offering basket.  I'm guessing that she was thinking, 'Tú no eres de aquí, ¿verdad?' ('You're not from around here, are you.').
  • Following along:  For the most part, I was able to follow along with the priest, though I didn't even attempt to respond with the congregation at the appropriate places.  No bulletin, no outline, no guideline for what was going on.  Everyone seemed to have it pretty well memorized.  As for the standing up and sitting down, that was pretty easy to follow along with.
  • Sermon?  OK, so obviously I'm going to show my Protestant evangelicalism here, but I was amazed that there was absolutely no sermon, lesson, or homily.  The priest did read the story of the woman caught in adultery from John 8 (I was the only one with a Bible to follow along), but then after that he just commented that he always wondered where the man she was caught with ended up and why he wasn't there...And that was it!  Not even a five minute spiritual thought or brief challenge.
  • Just the Wafer:  While the priest enjoyed both the body and the blood of Jesus, the congregation just got the wafer.  I find that interesting and I'm not sure what the thinking is behind that.  I decided to respect the Catholic Church's policy, so I didn't go up for a wafer.
  • Old and Female:  There were approximately 40 people in attendance, which is a bit sad since it's one of two parishes in our barrio, where about 10,000 or 15,000 people live.  Of the 40 people, I was the youngest by far, and about 80% of the congregants were elderly women.  There may have been five men in attendance.
  • Short:  The mass started at just after 11 a.m. and ended right at 11:30.  It was a bit like a flight I once had between Cincinnati and Louisville:  as soon as we left the airport we began our initial descent.  
  • And Not So Sweet:  Honestly, I left thinking, 'Did we really do anything in there?'  The priest did his thing with a few readings, the congregation responded from rote memory a few responses, they said a few prayers, they ate a wafer and the priest drank the wine, and then we left.  Honestly, there was no life or liveliness to it, and it wasn't difficult to figure out why there was no one else there even close to my age.  Unless you're fascinated by religiosity and going through religious motions, what would be the point in going to mass?  That's not to question the motives of those who were there, which certainly isn't my place, but if they were excited or thrilled to be worshiping the Almighty Triune God who loves them so much, it sure was left unexpressed in any way, shape or form.  If that's all that God demands, asks or wants of you--to go to a 30 minute mass, mouth some words and get a wafer--He's kind of a weak and uninterested god, probably not one worth worshiping.  And, yes, I know--by firsthand experience--that this same sort of thing happens in many of our Protestant evangelical churches in the U.S.
So there you have it.  No, it's not the feel-good reflection of the year, and it shouldn't be. The Catholic Church is in grave danger here because people aren't interested in the religious forms they're offering...What people need is an encounter with the living Christ, in some form or other, and then allow their meetings and rituals to be in service of that relationship.  Please pray for the Catholic Church and for Spaniards, that they would hunger and thirst for Christ, and please pray for us, that people would encounter Him through us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love seeing Spain through your eyes BJ! Thanks for your reflections.

la jenny

Anonymous said...

"And Not So Sweet: Honestly, I left thinking, 'Did we really do anything in there?'"

- Had an experience. Heard a comment that the fact my family and I went to church to much during Christmas.

B.J. and Rachel Whitaker said...

Hey there, 'Anonymous.' If you would, tell me more about your perspective on going to church (albeit 'too much'), 'having an experience,' and worship. I'd appreciate that. Take care!

Steve and Andrea LaMotte said...

Good post BJ. Similar but different, as you pointed out, is the American Churches that have a 20-40 minutes sermon without really preaching anything. Nothing worse than leaving church and scratching your head wondering what it was about! Kudos on going by yourself too!